Carolyn M. Wallace
Senior Technical Writer – Editor – Content Manager
Diverse background including solution designer, technical writer, editor, graphic artist, user interface designer, webmaster, and learning developer. Strong ability to make life easier for employer and clients. Able to translate technical concepts into everyday words and create tutorials showing viewers how new software works. Design applications so users can do what they want to do with less fear of “clicking the wrong button.”
Core competencies: Documentation, Adobe Photoshop, Editing, Presentations, and Public Speaking
CERNER CORPORATION, Durham, NC
Solution Designer, August 2018 – Present
Document functional requirements and risk analysis using solution management tools and processes.
- Use epics, features, solution vision, and market needs to write user stories and requirements into clear, workable solution and risk control requirements.
- Support the development team in planning and estimating resource needs.
Prioritize backlog to support product road map according to business value.
- Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders and keep them informed and engaged throughout project lifecycles.
- Lead and own discussions between development team, subject matter experts, internal users, or client-facing teams to clarify user stories, track issues, or resolve problems.
Applications used: Jira, Confluence, IBM Jazz
Senior Technical Writer, October 2011 – Present
Write specifications, presentations, and online help files for Cerner Clairvia software. In addition, create web-based training courses for new users.
- Led a team of three in converting thousands of pages of Clairvia documentation into the Cerner Atlassian Confluence Wiki format.
Applications used: MadCap Flare, Atlassian Confluence, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Captivate, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel.
CLAIRVIA, Durham, NC
Documentation Specialist/Webmaster, May 2004 – October 2011
Wrote manuals, online help files, sales presentations, animated demonstrations. Maintained and edited corporate website.
- Implemented software upgrade that cut manual preparation time by 50%.
- Maintained the clairvia.com and physicianscheduler.com websites and the corporate intranet.
- Analyzed site usage and suggested strategy based on user activity.
Applications Used: MadCap Flare, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Dreamweaver.
ADDITIONAL RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
GLOBAL KNOWLEDGE, Cary, NC
Wrote and edited laboratory simulations of Cisco IP Telephony troubleshooting techniques.
Applications Used: Camtasia, OnDemand Designer
CLARKSTON CONSULTING, Durham, NC
Wrote, edited, and proofread new web content, including web pages, white papers, technical documentation, and help files/user guides.
- Converted Clarkston Consulting web site from Cold Fusion to Active Server Pages, including complete site redesign. Conversion brought site in line with corporate standards, increased site’s speed and efficiency, and optimized search engine effectiveness, leading to higher search rankings. After conversion, unique visitor sessions increased 400% and referrals from search engines increased 500%. Project also required the writing and editing of substantial new content.
- Maintained three Clarkston Consulting websites using Visual Interdev.
Created and tested new applications, databases, and functionality, as needed, including debugging of ASP/database interfaces and intranet portal functions.
Monitored site usage and suggested strategy changes based on resulting data.
PACE, Inc., A Division of Lowe Healthcare Worldwide, Parsippany, NJ
New Media Designer
Accountable for web design, multimedia, and proofreading.
- Created QuickTime movies, Flash animations, and PowerPoint multimedia shows.
- Created and maintained websites using Adobe Dreamweaver.
- Produced Quark Xpress, Photoshop, and Illustrator documents.
- Created multimedia CD-ROMs and other materials for new business pitches, symposia, and seminars for clients such as Schering Corporation, Pharmacia, and Novartis.
- Proofread own work and that of others; high level of accuracy was required.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC.
Degree Received: BA in Education. Major: English, Minor: Education.
The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, Dover, NJ.
Certificate Received: Certificate of Completion, first year. Major: Graphic Arts.
- Available upon request.